Originally Posted By: LittleMan
Are you saying it was a legal hit, or that the rule should be changed. Do you dispute the quotes from Blandino?

I don't have a dog in this fight, and didn't know about these punter related news until the SNF game. These rules weren't newly introduced this season, or were they?

I disagree with designating a punter as a defenseless player, especially when he is downfield attempting to assist his teammates in a tackle. I had never heard the explanation that a punter is considered defenseless throughout the entire down. The block was a brutal hit, but one that special team playerrs are expected to make. The injury and intensity of the hit was made worse by the punter's failure to see it coming.

The league, in my opinion, has been vague and arbitrary about imposing fines and suspensions. The claim that hits with the front of the helmet or crown are illegal doesn't properly consider the speed and objective of the game. There are helmet to helmet hits on every play at the line of scrimmage and runners are always running head first and tackling and blocking can't avoid many of the hits or contact to the head.

It has gotten to the point where every time there's a hard hit, you expect to see a flag or expect a fine.