Originally Posted By: TottiNotGotti
Originally Posted By: LaLouisiane
Don't pay no attention to him. He claims to be from Ireland, but denounces the IRA and using violence. Clearly doesn't understand the history of the Irish people at the hands of the Brits. Young Liberal kid that wants peace, love, and dope for everyone.

Don't know why you've got such a hardon for me. I have a far superior understanding of Republicanism than you do, so don't lecture me on the suffering of the Irish people. Also, I haven't denounced the IRA but I don't mind saying that I don't agree with the armed struggle continuing at this moment in time.

I've stated my position to you several times in these discussions. You want the war to continue/re-start, so let's hear your philosophy.

Who do you expect to prosecute the war against Britain? What actions would you like them to carry out? What would your overall strategy be?

Demands to see a war continue is easy talk for a big mouth sitting at a computer in America. Not so easy in practice.

General Thomas (Tom) Barry (1 July 1897 – 2 July 1980)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tom_Barry_(soldier)

Tom Maguire (28 March 1892 – 5 July 1993)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tom_Maguire

When the majority of IRA and Sinn Féin decided to abandon abstentionism in the 1969–70 split, Ruairí Ó Brádaigh and Dáithí Ó Conaill sought and secured Maguire's recognition of the Provisional IRA as the legitimate successor to the 1938 Army Council. Of the seven 1938 signatories, Maguire was the only one still alive.[fn 1] Likewise in the aftermath of the 1986 split in the Republican Movement, Maguire signed a statement in 1986 which was issued posthumously in 1996. In it, he conferred this "legitimacy" on the Army Council of the Continuity IRA (who provided a firing party at Maguire's funeral in 1993). In The Irish Troubles, J. Bowyer Bell describes Maguire's opinion in 1986, "abstentionism was a basic tenet of republicanism, a moral issue of principle. Abstentionism gave the movement legitimacy, the right to wage war, to speak for a Republic all but established in the hearts of the people."[9]
Although the 1938 conferring has been crucial to the ideology of republican legitimatists, for all intents and purposes its validity was rejected by the overwhelming majority of the Irish people. In 1986 "a delegation from the [Gerry] Adams leadership" asked for his support, but Maguire rejected them.[10]

Maguire was the last survivor, not only of the rump legitimist Second Dáil of 1938, but of all those who served in the Second Dáil in 1921–22.[citation needed] The last IRA veteran of the Irish War of Independence, Dan Keating, who died in 2007, also supported Republican Sinn Féin.

You say your an Irish Republican get a grip, and get your facts right no Republican would get this IRA history wrong.