Well, when Chuck Goudie reported the bit about 60, which is the only place I've seen it actually reported by a real news source--I think it used to be on Steve Warmiber's blog at one point but I'm not sure if that is floating out there in cyberspace still--he qualified it by saying (I am paraphrasing): "Nick Calabrese gave them the names of 60 made men, many of them still at large."

Implying a portion of the names, whether 10 percent or 90 percent, were not at large.

If Fosco estimates 50-60, that is something. I don't take his word as gospel but in many instances I think he is relatively unbiased. (In some instances he is clearly biased.)

I don't really believe Burnstein as I think his Detroit estimates are coo-coo.

So, yeah, I go by the feds.

We did an exercise once in another thread trying to list all of the likely made guys in the approximate 30 number and I think ultimately came up with a pretty good list.

Here is one thing to consider: Most of the guys on the list, from Fratto to Andriacchi to Toots Caruso, have been arrested multiple times and their names are very well known.

So to believe in an Outfit as twice as big as that estimate, one must believe that there is the current, pretty much known, frequently arrested, Outfit--and another unknown half that has been infinitely more successful in remaining under the radar.