I would say the mafia is still very active in north jersey, with the gambinos, geneveses, bonnanos, and lucheses all having crews based there. The geneveses seem to have the largest and strongest presence with 5 crews, they seem to have the most pull with the unions on the waterfront and in garbage hauling,and having the biggest books. The lucheses jersey crew has been battered by indictments over the last 5 or ten years, with operation heat, when they were working with the bloods and then again a few years later with the big online gambling busts, it seems both of those cases are close to coming to a close, which means we could see all the pernas facing some heavy jail time. Theres also phillys north jersey crew run by licata, which has been characterized by the feds as being nothing more then a gambling ring. With all the indictments in the late 1990s and early 2000s against the decalvacantes their power and influence within the construction industry(which has always been their main niche) is down to only a small fraction of what it used to be with a lot of guys being ousted from union jobs and one of their main unions,local 394, being put under govt oversight in 2006. Overall, Needless to say the mob is still very active in gambling and loansharking while still maintaining some influence in the garbage hauling industry and on the ports.

But im sure other posters(skinny) can provide alot more insight than i can.

"Let me tell you something. There's no nobility in poverty. I've been a poor man, and I've been a rich man. And I choose rich every fucking time."

-Jordan Belfort