Originally Posted By: goombah
Originally Posted By: Irishman12
I am ABSOLUTELY stunned by this trade. Guess that Prince Fielder experiment didn't work out too well did it Detroit? He only lasted 2 seasons. I think this will be a better deal for Detroit since they get out of the next 7 years of his contract and Fielder will be more productive in a hitters park like Arlington. Do the Tigers now spend their money to get protection around Miguel Cabrera in the form of Robinson Cano?

Source: Prince Fielder to Rangers

I was also very suprised by this deal. I think that it was a great move by Detroit, unloading a huge contract for a player with a weight problem. I think they can now look at keeping Verlander and Scherzer long-term, which would not have happened with the albatross of Fielder's contract.

Fielder just didn't work out. Locally he used up a lot of good will with his comments after the games and after the Boston series ended. People didn't think he was trying hard or cared enough. Of course that's probably not the case but his production simply didn't match his salary. Most of the sentiment on the local sports talk radio was downright celebratory. tongue

This column is typical of the majority of the feeling, I think.

"When the snows fall and the white winds blow, the lone wolf dies but the pack survives."
Winter is Coming

Now this is the Law of the Jungleā€”as old and as true as the sky; And the wolf that shall keep it may prosper, but the wolf that shall break it must die.
As the creeper that girdles the tree-trunk, the Law runneth forward and back; For the strength of the Pack is the Wolf, and the strength of the Wolf is the Pack.