Well, there are a couple of things to put in perspective about the whole "making your bones" thing in the American Mafia.

1. Al D'arco said in his biography that the idea that you must kill someone to be inducted into the Mafia is not entirely true. Yes, some are required to do it, but others get in for being good earners. He wasn't required to kill anybody to get in, but he did admit to being involved in several murders later in his mob career (he did mention though, that if you are ordered to kill somebody, you must take the contract otherwise your the next person to get killed, that is no joke). He said it wasn't unheard of for guys to be involved in the mafia for over twenty years until they were asked to kill someone.

2. Even if one was required to murder someone to gain membership into LCN, he doesn't necessarily need to pull the trigger. For example, if you were the getaway driver, or if you helped dispose of the body, that counted as making bones too. I know the Bonnanos tried to reform the rules after the Donnie Brasco incident (a made guy must be with you when you go out and do the hit, and you must actually pull the trigger yourself). I do not know how well enforced the new rules are today, since the Mafia doesn't kill as much as they used to.

So, I think its far to say that there isn't too many murderers in the mob today, least not as many as in the past. I still wouldn't want to rub them the wrong way though.