Originally Posted By: paprincess
shows what a uneducated online hustler I would be... I didn't even know a bitcoin was a real coin...like actual currency.. I just thought it was like a router that converted currency/exchange values and protected identities...

It's not an actual currency that you can hold in your hand. basically what happens is people set up number crunching machines that sit there for hours on end creating a very large digital signature unique to one file or "bitcoin". usually the value given to it is the cost of the electricity used by the computer during the process of creating the bitcoin. anybody can create a bitcoin with their computer. Of course the average computer it would take a long time just to make one, the idea behind it is that it is an anonymous currency not controlled by any single government entity that can be used anywhere. there is no actual value there except for what we give it. if you ask me? don't run out to the bank and grab your money to start investing in bitcoins. besides them being practically worthless, sooner or later some government is going to get pissed off and shut it down(or atleast attempt to)

that is, unless I made myself look like an ass and you already know this.

just thought I would add to the topic.