Originally Posted By: paprincess
Actually... Connie's husband did hit her, and spent all of the money in her bridal purse on whores and gambling... it states this in the novel... this pissed off The Godfather, however he didn't relay this to Connie as he knew she would say something to Carlo... and well.. Carlo got what he deserved at the end of the first movie...he was a greedy pig and a lousy disrespectful husband. As far as when the godfather said "we are not murders, I agree with the rest of you as first of all, if they killed the guys who beat up the undertaker's daughter then they wouldn't be wise hitmen and would have been easier to catch if the police wanted to press charges, if the undertaker was more thugish he would have approached a black man and paid them to kill the guys who beat his daughter, or some money hungry russians. I'm actually shocked the undertaker wanted them dead, I would have wanted them beaten severely and robbed instead. plus their parent's houses robbed as well... just to teach them all a lesson for thinking they are so high and mighty.
I believe in the novel there is more detail into the Connie /Carlo dynamic. Essentially,Vito feels that once married,the husband can do as he pleases with his wife. I believe that Mama once said that Vito treated her with love and respect,but only because she made sure not to give him any reason to beat her. That seemed to be the mentality,don't divorce an abusive spouse,but rather,stop pi**ing him off and you won't get a beatin'