By the definition of Gang, yes it is and that could apply to many other organized crime groups such as the Cartel, Triads e.t.c. What makes the Italian Mafia's different from other ordinary gangs is how , lime many others have said it is entrenched in the legitimate economy and has political ties.

The Italian - American Mafia for the most part has lost it's political power that it once had in it's heyday. The same goes for it's ties to unions but that still remains a major factor for the mob in America. The other thing I think separates it from other gangs is it's structure and codes of conduct. Now, I know the Mafia says "Oooh we don't do this, we do this and don't kill women" e.t.c. we all know that's total BS, the rules can be bent over and over again to suit the needs at a particular time, we all know this.

However the fact that they have these so called codes of conduct still means some members and associates will obey them and will think twice before breaking them, instead of not having them at all. They are more like guidelines than rules.

They are also not just a gang in the sense that they are a secret society of criminals. They aren't throwing out gangs signs or dressing up in colors, the most obvious thing they could do is dress dapper like Gotti, but even that doesn't prove they are part of a gang as if they had tattoo's, it just matches the stereotype Gangster.

As for the Mafia's in Italy, Cosa Nostra, Camorra, Ndrangheta and SCU, although they also are gangs by definition, I don't think I need to explain why especially they are not your average thugs.

I mean, siphoning off EU funds for Green projects?!

Tony Soprano : I thought I told you to back off Beansie!

Richie Aprile : I did, Then I put it in drive..