Originally Posted By: LaLouisiane
Traditionally I would say that the Mafia was more than a gang. But as of today I have to kind of concur. They don't have the power that everyone wishes they did and the sum of their actions can be compared to any other gang. So formally, are they more well structured than a gang, yes. Power wise, I'd say they are equal with some gangs.
what gangs do you think are as powerful as the five families are in the tri state area, please name me one black, latino, russain, albanian, chinese, or whatever the fuck, that is more diversified and has more reach into legitimate industries as the italians do(in the tri state area). Now philly is a different story, i think since merlinos reign began they could pretty much be categorized as a gang. Theyve had little to no involvement with unions, and have been brought down to a street operation where over the past 15 or 20 years they have been the most active in shaking down drug dealers, gambling, and putting money out on the street. Now does any1 really think the five families are on the same level as philly?

"Let me tell you something. There's no nobility in poverty. I've been a poor man, and I've been a rich man. And I choose rich every fucking time."

-Jordan Belfort