Originally Posted By: jonnynonos
There is nothing even close to resembling an Italian neighborhood in metro Detroit, let alone an Italian community.

White flight from the city happened so rapidly and so completely that for the most part the suburbs were just thrown up from around the 50s and 60s on; it's milquetoast city--strip malls and houses in every direction, spread far and wide.

I'm sure there are still a few old guys languishing around but in terms of traditional rackets people in Detroit wouldn't even know where to get a juice loan; the network of blue collar watering holes and neighborhoods that traditionally support these like bookmaking just doesn't exist these days.

The possible exception is downriver which happens to be exactly on the other side of the city from where the Italians settled.

A couple times people who grew up with these guys have come on this forum and laughed at people who think the mob in Detroit is still going strong, but no one seems to listen to them.

It's like saying the mob is still kickin' ass in Schaumburg.

I can think of two occasions: one was recently, and it was quite obviously a troll (the poster didn't even get any of the names right).

The other instance was years back on a different forum, which was a poster claiming he knew much of the hierarchy from business meetings. He claimed that the "list continues to get smaller" with every generation, which wasn't necessarily untrue.

There is only one credible Detroit (insider) poster in existence, and he posts occasionally on the RD. He has said nothing to discredit Scott, other than to treat his charts as speculation. Which is the truth. Scott has said himself that some of the people he's listed may not be made. And I've said it time and time again, I do not believe Detroit has 45-50+ made members. And for the record, you don't need that many members to have a viable, formally-structured family.

As for Italian neighborhoods, there is a very high population of Italians within many of the suburbs in Macomb County (east side). Much of the membership has resided within this particular area for more than half a century. From Grosse Point (northeastern Wayne) all the way up to Shelby Township (central Macomb).

Judging by your post, I can tell you haven't spent much time around here.

As for their recruiting pool, it is their own families. That's the way it has been with Detroit since it started. I can only think of one made member alive (David Aceto) who isn't related to other (living or deceased) members by blood or by marriage.