Originally Posted By: afsaneh77
Term limit for members of congress would mean abolishing parties. I understand that many here are fed up with partisan politics, but you should see lack of parties to know that the devil you know is better than the one you don't. I think what is to blame here is the lack of transparency and lack of limit for donations to certain candidates. If they relied on their constituents to donate to their campaign fund as much as they relied on big companies, people wouldn't be left in the cold.

Not sure I understand why it would mean the end of the parties, and I am also not sure that if it did end the parties that it would be a bad thing. See the George Washington statement below. We certainly have many cunning, ambitious, unprincipled men in Congress today. It is probably easier to count those in Congress that are not among those Washington warns about.

"However [political parties] may now and then answer popular ends, they are likely in the course of time and things, to become potent engines, by which cunning, ambitious, and unprincipled men will be enabled to subvert the power of the people and to usurp for themselves the reins of government, destroying afterwards the very engines which have lifted them to unjust dominion."

GEORGE WASHINGTON, Farewell Address, Sep. 17, 1796

Read more at http://www.notable-quotes.com/w/washington_george.html#qYkacxOtsVUQYOSp.99

"After all, we are not communists"

Christopher Moltisanti: You ever think what a coincidence it is that Lou Gehrig died of Lou Gehrig's disease?

Tony Soprano: Yeah well, when you're married, you'll understand the importance of fresh produce.