Originally Posted By: Lilo
Grand Rapids, MI one of best places to retire

Quote:
A few years ago, Rick Baker moved to Grand Rapids to take a job. The 49-year-old CEO of the local chamber of commerce loves the city so much, now he plans to retire there.

He has a new list, compiled by one of America’s most influential groups for seniors, to help lure other baby boomers to Michigan’s second-largest city. AARP the magazine is now calling it one of the top five best, low-cost places in America to retire.

“It shows that Michigan has a great quality of life — and places people want to be,” Baker told the Free Press. “The rankings help us as we market the community.”

In the past few years, the national news media have been abuzz about Grand Rapids, about 170 miles due west of Detroit near Lake Michigan. The city has earned attention and praise for its revitalized downtown, affordable housing and work opportunities — as well as it’s scenery, bike trails, international art competition ArtPrize and a surging industry of top-rated craft breweries...

Aww How nice Lilo. My hometown!! smile I love that picture of downtown GR/Grand River. Every time I go there I like to walk around downtown and shop in the area. Something about the buildings/atmosphere is awesome. I use to work DT years ago but it wasn't nearly as nice as it is now. Gosh Grand Rapids, MI a nice place to retire... and here I am in California. lol Go figure!! But thanks for posting. I'll send the story to my brothers/sister, tho they've likely seen it.

TIS

Btw, about a year or so ago I posted a youtube video of people from GR singing American Pie because they claim the city was losing it's charm (for lack of a better word). Glad to see this story tho.

"Mankind must put an end to war before war puts an end to mankind. War will exist until that distant day when the conscientious objector enjoys the same reputation and prestige that the warrior does today." JFK

"War is over, if you want it" - John Lennon