Originally Posted By: vinnietoothpicks26
People need to hop off of Rock Star. This game is not that good.

You say that and then offer no explanation as to why you think it isn't that good. If you have an opinion of something, please, elaborate.

I, on the other hand, thought the game was terrific (and no, I'm not a Rockstar fanboy). I think the multiple main characters created a fresh new feel to the game, and effectively eliminated the disconnect I felt from previous iterations (i.e. when GTA IV's Niko Bellic would lament about wanting to leave the criminal life, and yet he would take assassination jobs over a payphone from a guy he didn't even know). I found myself playing the game differently with each of the three characters. Trevor is a psychopath, and I played him accordingly. Franklin was more of a thug trying to leave the streets he was raised in, and so it wasn't uncommon for me to help an innocent bystander who was being robbed, and return their money to them. I played Michael somewhat middle of the road. I was able to connect with these characters more than previous characters in the series, because they each had a distinct personality, and it made me make decisions with their characters that I felt they themselves would make.

The vibrant, colorful setting of Los Santos is also infinitely more interesting than the gray cityscape of Liberty City. Rockstar nailed the culture (or lack thereof) of Los Angeles and Hollywood, and kicked it up quite a few notches. Los Santos is a caricature of Los Angeles, but it is closer to the real thing than one might think.

Los Santos is also the biggest world that Rockstar North has created to date, and while it may seem smaller than San Andreas from the GTA of the same name, the land mass is exponentially bigger, and by Rockstar focusing on one city (and surrounding countryside) instead of three, the city feels much more alive and vibrant. This is Los Angeles fully realized in video game form, and it is awesome.

I like that they brought back car customization and purchasable properties, as well. Also, you can purchase vehicles through the in-game "web browser", and even buy and sell stocks in the game's stock market (instead of NASDAQ, it's BAWSAQ). There are some missions early on in the game where Franklin is tasked with taking out certain business entrepreneurs, and at the beginning of each mission, Lester drops a stock tip as to what stocks to buy once this man has been killed. Pay special attention to those tips, because you can make a lot of money!

I haven't tinkered with the online game yet, but I'm sure it's pretty sweet.

As for knocks against the game, I noticed a few glitches throughout my play through, such as NPCs getting stuck in strange places. For instance, I walked into Michael's house once and his wife was standing on the kitchen table. There are also some frame-rate issues and some texture pop-in, but nothing game breaking.

There are going to be people out there that will hate this game before they even play it. It's the same with Call of Duty. People hate it for it's mainstream success, and will point out the smallest flaw and blow it up into the biggest, game-breaking bug in the history of mankind, and call for the immediate demise of the people who develop these games. My advice: just play it. If you like it, great! If you don't, great!

Personally, I loved it!

"Growing up my dad was like 'You have a great last name, Galifianakis. Galifianakis...begins with a gal...and ends with a kiss...' I'm like that's great dad, can we get it changed to 'Galifianafuck' please?" -- Zach Galifianakis