Originally Posted By: Tony_Pro
Originally Posted By: LittleMan
Was Bill Roemer a reputable source on the Chicago mob?

I'll let the Chicago experts handle the other questions; but I think it's been shown here and other sources that Bill Roemer was reputable when it came to making himself look good. Much of his writings have some truth behind them, but in his era (he was with the FBI from the mid-50s-mid 80s), the FBI knew a lot less than he made out to. If you believe Murray Humphrey's wife, Accardo, the Hump, Ricca, Giancana etc all knew they were being bugged and made shit up to fuck with the FBI.

Bill Roemer's mistake was inserting himself as a character into "true crime" accounts of the Chicago Outfit. His other mistake was releasing a terrible crime novel (a work of fiction) with the same publisher in which he used real-life Chicago and New York mobsters as characters in the story. I think Roemer's anti-Giancana bias and grudging admiration for Accardo and Joe Bonnano hurts his credibility. But then again, I don't think he invented everything he wrote.

If anyone wants to know how a book about the mafia should be written, they should read Jeff Coen's Family Secrets.