Originally Posted By: fireballxl5
Originally Posted By: LittleMan
When Castellano took over the Gambino family, he supposedly gave Neil a sweetheart deal to appease him. What was his deal and why was it unique?

Wasn't the sweetheart deal that Neil kept all the "blue collar" (hijacking, protection, gambling) crews and Paul kept the "white collar" (unions, construction, garbage, garments, etc) crews.

That's what most of the stuff I read says.

Correct me if I´m wrong, but the only true source of a "deal" made by Castellano and Dellacroce comes from Montiglio. He said sometthing to the effect of "Castellano told Dellacroce ´Anything you had with Carlo you keep. Anything else you want, we´ll talk´ And that´s how we made Paulie the boss." Now, what does that mean exactly? I´m sure it had nothing to do with dividing up white collar/blue collar rackets. Because Dellacroce had members of his faction involved with legitimate businesses and Castellano certainly had members of his faction involved with "traditional" rackets like loansharking, extortion, drug dealing etc that sometimes required "dirty work". I understand Montiglio´s words to mean that whatever mutual interest Dellacroce may have had with Gambino, for example a gambling operation (or whatever), he was allowed to keep for himself. That is if Montiglio told the truth of course.

[Linked Image]