That Nettie's case is absolutely facinating -- I seriously CANNOT believe that flew over me. Thank you very much for that. I was just talking about that place to a member on the BH forum a few months ago. It was only open for about two years.

I just searched up their resulting convictions -- both pled guilty to a single count of conspiracy to conduct a gambling operation. Not sure if that's a 1-year misdemeanor or 5-year felony. Both recieved two years of probation. Also, their case information says they were convicted in 2007. Strange.

Surprised it was prosecuted so severely -- since the 10-year gambling operations charge is usually reserved for large-scale stuff. Like I said, most people charged with gambling-related offenses over here are treated very lightly, especially the card games. Usually charged as 93-day or 1-year misdemeanors.

As for so many capos (5), it shouldn't seem too strange. There is 2-6 made members per crew, and that hasn't been too uncommon for small families. That 90's DeCavalcante FBI chart depicts the family as having 8 or 9 captains, IIRC, which would imply that a few of them must have had only two or three made men in their crews. The Detroit Family in 1996 was the same size as it is today -- ~ 30 members -- and there was 5 captains (Anthony Corrado, Jackie Giacalone, Vito Giacalone, Tony Pal, and Vincent Meli). Anthony Giacalone was the SB at the time, but the 1996 indictment states that he was a capo.

Mind you, the 1996 indictment regards Tony Tocco and Tony Zerilli as capos, which would, of course, be incorrect. In the indictment, it claims that underneath the "boss" was a set of captains (it does not give any reference to a consigliere OR a UB). Meanwhile, to the press, the feds have always asserted that Zerilli was the UB and Tony Tocco was the consigliere. After nearly a half-century of talk, the Detroit FBI was finally able to prove to a jury that a formally-structured crime family existed in the area. I guess they didn't want to burden themselves with proving that certain individuals held very specific positions.