Originally Posted By: JCB1977
I will go with the 31 number, much more believable than the 45-50 "active" made guys that Scott claimed to be. I still say "active" would be around 20-25...but I will buy 31.

Yep. Like I said, the 31 total includes the (very) prominent shelved/retired members -- i.e., Zerilli, Paul Tocco, Danny Triglia, and Frankie Bommarito -- who are all in their 80s.

To be technical, Nove Tocco, by definition, is still a made member; albeit, he's a rat in WP.

Historically, they've been harder to grab because of their close relations, and the fact that virtually everything is kept under wraps. And in all honesty, a part of me believes Zerilli was telling the truth about Hoffa's burial site. Meaning, I wouldn't be surprised if the Giac Brothers purposely lied to him. Zerilli's always had a beef, and they knew this. Really, there was no need for him to know about where the body was at (or where it was destroyed). The only people who truly had to know explicit information were the people who killed him. I'd bet a billion that Vito's own son (and future boss within the next few years) knows nothing about that affair either. It's for the better.

And it's that kind of thing that has kept them around.

They're official all-time low was 23 made members in 1984. And if you adjusted for the deaths which made up that total, they doubled their size in about a decade (by the '96/'01 FBI estimate). They haven't had more than a couple dozen active members at any given time since the late-70's, and I see no reason why they wouldn't keep it that way.