Originally Posted By: pizzaboy
It's over. They'll always be around because criminal minded people will always be around. But they'll never be "huge" again. The only people who believe that are the people who want to believe that.

But the guy made a good point about the terrorism task force. If not for 9/11, the mob would be in even worse shape than it is now.

However Lets be honest for a minute, everyone is talking about how the mob is in really bad shape, in comparison to old times that is fair enough. However for this day and age and knowing how hard it is for any organized crime group to operate across the US these days, I'd say the Mafia are in very decent shape. Especially if you look how successful they still are in comparison to other crime groups. Sure other crime groups are equally as dangerous, clever and powerful if they wanted to be, but the Italian-American mafia still has a lot going for them. Sure the power in the unions has died down however we are still seeing major busts involving labor racketeering, especially from the Genovese's. And apart from the increase in rats and the decrease of Omerta in the states, they are still making damn good money from Gambling, Loan sharking, extortion, Drugs e.t.c.

To be fair, most mob members actually don't rat, either because the circumstances aren't that bad for them or because they are still loyal to their organization.

Also if there was a shortage of Italian-Americans in big American cities, I'm sure some people from the old country be it Calabria, Sicily, whatever wouldn't mind stepping in to reap some profits (If things went really badly for the mob)

Tony Soprano : I thought I told you to back off Beansie!

Richie Aprile : I did, Then I put it in drive..