Originally Posted By: ErinGoBra
Horse shit! Bookmaking I really doubt it! But who cares? Honestly!

Really? First off, I'm assuming you're a troll. Secondly, booking has always been the heart and soul of the Detroit family, and virtually every other Italian crime family. The family (including the Giacalones) is still very actively engaged in bookmaking.

Cases have been fewer. Since the '06 bust, Aceto (a capo) was busted for larcenies in '07, Anthony Cimini, Jr. (a solider) was busted for uttering and publishing in '08, a few associates were busted for a Toledo point-shaving scheme in '09, and the D'Anna Bros. (soldiers) were busted for extortion and attempted murder in '11 (and the feds indicted them earlier this year on bigger charges). And I'm sure there have been others, but public knowledge of the Detroit family is slim.

Here is what the U.S. Attorney had to say last month:

DD: We’ve seen the deaths of the Giacalones and other mobsters. Is there still a Mafia in Detroit?

McQuade: I think yes, and I think that we want to make sure we don’t ignore it and become complacent and assume that the Mafia has gone away. But I think organized crime has a slightly different look today. It’s not just La Cosa Nostra the way it used to be. Organized crime comes from lots of places. Albanian, Romanian, Middle Eastern. Frankly, you could call some of these street gangs organized crime.

The Detroit FBI office closed down their "mob-busting unit" in 2005, IIRC, and since then, we've seen close to no cases. If you want to be technical, there has only been one single Detroit family case in history: the 1996 Gamtax bust. Virtually no other indictments gave mention to the Detroit Family as an entity. Ever. They simply prosecuted on a case-by-case basis. There has been a great deal of gambling cases in Detroit since 2006, but since no one knows who many of the associates are, no one can really know if any of them are related to the family.

The Family isn't dead. It was Vito Giac who complained (according to FBI documents) in the late-80's that the Family had gone downhill and needed new members -- the FBI had them down to 21 or 23 members at some point in the mid-80's, only to bump back up to about 30 in the late 90's. Now, his son is about to take the thrown. I guess time will tell if the new generation wants to keep it alive. But for now, it's very much alive -- it's just a shell of its former self. Like any of the other Italian crime families left in America.