Originally Posted By: carmela
Originally Posted By: Revis_Island
Originally Posted By: carmela
Originally Posted By: Revis_Island
There's a rivalry between every region in Italy. The thing that I've always hated was when people ask if someone is sicilian or italian. You never see anyone ask if someone is neapolitan or italian. But anyway, there's more of a rivalry between southern italy than northern. But I've never seen that much of a difference between Sicily and other southern regions of Italy. People always say there's a huge difference but I've been to Italy and I've lived in America all my life and I've never seen a difference between most southern italian Americans whether they're neapolitan, calabrese, or sicilian.

The reason people separate sicilians with italians is because sicily is it's own island. It's separate from Italy and yes there is a HUGE difference in people, culture, food, attitude between sicilians and the mainland. You haven't spent enough time (or any time) in Sicily to understand it and you won't understand it from simply knowing Italian-Americans or Sicilian-Americans in this country.

I am sicilian. And I've never see a HUGE difference between Sicily and other southern italian regions. It's not like it seems like its a whole different culture compared to other southern italian cultures. Sardinia is an island on its own as well, I don't see anyone saying Sardinians and Italians. And people don't understand that not all of Sicily is the same. The towns differ from each other as well. Just like every other italian region.

First of all, I'm in Sicily nearly every summer for the last 20 years or more. I know the island like the back of my hand. The towns in Sicily don't differ like you say.
This rivalry that you say is between all towns, doesn't exist. The north would look down on the south because, unlike Sicily, they had the better educations, the better schools and that. Not so much anymore, things have changed.
You are right though, there isn't such a big culture difference between north and south. What I meant by that is Sicily is all about fishing, the ports and water surrounding it, whereas the north is more mountain, they make cheese and more baking and such. This is what i meant about culture. Sicily is all fish. North, no.

If you're in Italy and someone says to you, "dove vieni?" they're asking you where are you from, in which case you'd answer what part of Italy/Sicily you come from. Nobody walks around Italy saying, "I'm sicilian, I'm roman, I'm neapolitan...."
And YES, if you run into a person over here that is from Sardinia, they will most definitely say they are Sardinian.

I wasn't talking about rivalries between the towns today, I was talking about in the past. But yes I agree about the north and south. Fishing is huge in Sicily yes, but I still stand by the fact that Sicilians and other southern Italians are very much the same. Not northern Italians though.