Originally Posted By: furio_from_naples
Carmela, I speak as a boy of southern Italy, and I tell you that the situation is truly tragic and more come down to the south, more it becomes worse. There is a terrible youth unemployment, and though I'm a university student, I don't know if I'll find work. To tell the truth a lot of people from Sicily, Calabria Campania etc. emigrate no longer in America but in Europe because it suits him more by having a good chance of success while remaining close to home (a friend of mine emigrated in Toulouse in France). That said, if the American Mafia would restore the old bridge with the mother country, he would be recruited (assuming that they'll can enter in the United States) many criminals from all over Italy not only from the south.

We're pretty much saying the same thing. I wish you luck finding a job when you graduate.
I also have a cousin that just 2 weeks ago moved out of Agrigento to Tenerife, Spain, for work, after Italcementi officially closed about 6 months or so ago in Italy. He thought he had a secure job, who would think a company such as Italcementi would ever close.
But going to Spain, France, etc is easy with a Euro passport. It's not like trying to get a visa in the US.

I still say it's not so easy to just "recruit" guys to the US. Coming into the US isn't as easy. It's not like mexicans. Once they catch up with you, you're out. And if you DO get a visa, and you go back to Italy and stay in Italy for extended period of time, they'll revoke your visa for 10 years to this country. Whatever they'd do as far as mafia recruitment, it'd have to be as visitors; back and forth every 6 months or less.

La madre degli idioti e' sempre incinta.