Originally Posted By: Sonny_Black
Originally Posted By: pizzaboy
Originally Posted By: 123JoeSchmo
Ivy attrition won't take it's toll in this situation NYC still has a very large recruitment base.

The Italian Americans who are in their 20's and 30's today are almost all 3rd and 4th generation.

I would say 5th generation. The majority of Italians settled in the United States between 1890 and 1920. The generation of John Gotti was already third generation.

No doubt, Sonny. I was being kinda liberal with that statement. I mean, I'm 54 years old and I'm the second generation in my family born in America. All four of my grandparents were born in Italy. That makes my kids third generation and my grandkids fourth generation. And my family got here at the end of that time frame (right around 1920).

Like you said, the overwhelming majority of Italian American families came here between 1880 and 1920. That's a fact. So if your family was on the early side of that time frame, your kids are 5th and even 6th generation today. In other words, they're American, they've assimilated, hopefully they're educated, and they're less likely to see any upside in the mob life. And more importantly, they don't NEED the mob life. That's the main difference. Fifty or sixty years ago there were some guys who had few other options. Today that isn't the case.

"I got news for you. If it wasn't for the toilet, there would be no books." --- George Costanza.