I'm kind of surprised that the Red Sox are in first place. I didn't expect much from them this year, but they're battling the injury bug now, especially with their pitching. They seem to be interested in Cliff Lee and Papelbon, but the Papelbon price gets higher now with Jason Grilli facing a possible serious arm injury.

I always expect Pedroia, ellsbury and Ortiz to do well, but they're having seasons a bit better than I had expected. Add to it guys like Napoli and Gomes an others, who've made them baseball's best offensive team this year.

I think the Rays will win the division though. Their starting pitching may be the best in the game top to bottom, and Joe Maddon has to be the best manager in baseball. Both of these qualities make them look like a playoff team that is postured for a long run.

The Yankees have had injuries, which are expected for guys like Youkilis, A-Rod, Jeter and Pettite, but the guys they have filling in right now are pretty bad. Cruz, Nunez and Zoilo Almonte aren't helping, and Travis Hafner and Vernon Wells look like they're barely hanging on. Also, Sabathia doesn't look like the same pitcher he was years ago.

They need help, or they'll drop like a crowbar in the AL East.