Originally Posted by Dellacroce
Originally Posted by thebigfella
Who is "the german"?

Hes a "character" someone created who was supposedly the boss of the philly irish mob and the genevese family consigliere lol. Kinda like the tufar o brothers, strpes demarco, and charles gotti

Well unlike some of these names "The German" is a real dude. Probably not involved in OC on any real level. But he does exist. Appears to be a pretty legitimate business type guy from what I gather. Raised in Philly seems to divide his time between Florida and NYC these days. So while probable, it's very unlikely that he's connected.

The hearsay seems to have begun on some forums by apparent locals. I've looked into it a bit, even had a thread around here. All I can say is there's nothing to make me believe he was of any consequences in the underwolrd. But who am I to say.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

In regards, to the OP. In early 20th century America resources were slim in the ghettos of early immigrant populations. It wasn't that they hated each other. It's just that tensions were result of this and other cultural differences. As far as OC goes, the Irish were never really all that organized. They assimilated much easier into WASP culture too. They used the support group of the cop, the gangster, and the politician to make their way. Whereas teh Italians had mostly the mob as a way of tradition and keeping the peace. In that way they were far more insular and attrition of the criminal lifestyle came slower.

In teh end the irish mob is more like a network of freelancers, fickle temporary alliances, united by a domineering figure. When that figure died, they were prone to fight amongst themselves. It was a criminal culture of the individual. Prone to dysfunction

The Italians on the other hand had the family. Both criminally and culturally. It was important. One man's life was nothing in comparison to maintaining tradition and order within the family. It was a model that worked well for them. Keep them strong and functioning like a well-oiled machine.

Last edited by J Geoff; 11/25/18 08:51 PM. Reason: Removed proper name since he's not connected