The mob is done in most cities and is never coming back . Alot of Italians have career options these days and many are going to college.

Philly is probably always going to have a mob, it could just be very small with business limited to gambling and shy . I know philly does do some garbage stuff in south jersey and that doesn't appear to be changing anytime soon.

I'm sure Chicago mob isn't going anywhere so either . I know several Chicago posters don't believe the 30 made guy estimates but I am on the side that the Feds # is probably pretty close to the right # . With roughly 30-50 active made guys , how much power can they really have today , that just isn't enough man power IMO to do alot , an as importantl put fear in people , which was the backbone of its power. They just don't whack people in Chi anymore.

NY and NJ is going to have a mafia presence for a long time . It still has the manpower to do damage and just so many different businesses to earn from ( just a by product of the area ) . They are smaller but still wield alot of power outside the gambling and shy core biz. They are still crushing it in the marajuana biz and are still common place in the garbage (more NJ from what i hear ) and union / construction businesses . Talking to my friends in those industries , their presence is still accepted and commonplace ( and in some cases valued ). I know a few low level guys in the luchesse NJ that basically only do gambling and shy and they are still making a couple hundred K a year . Nothing crazy but still a good amount of $, higher end middle class .