---"How many gangland slaying occurred" in 60s?. .."About 60."....only about 6, 7 related to war though. Rest for different reasons, war an excuse

---"Spike O'Toole and Stevie and Connie Hughes killed Buddy." When Buddy killed Howie took over.
Paul Rico tipped Stevie off before he could be pinched for car bombing of the lawyer.

---Rico warned him, should flee, about to be charged with Salemme. He did, first to California.

---"We ended up in California."
Also charged with killing Bennett.
Bobby Daddeco was primary witness re Bennett murder.

---Bulger was in prison -- Atlanta, Alcatraz, Lewisburg, Leavenworth -- serving time for bank robbery during much of gang wars, got out in 65

---Eventually Stevie and Frankie and Peter Poulos and Phil Waggenheim and flew to West Coast.
"Frankie insisted on" killing Poulos. So Stevie murdered Poulos, because Larry Baione thought he wouldn't stand up on murder. Stevie and Frankie had falling out in 1970.

---Stevie went to Florida for a month.
Then ended up in Montreal.
"Got to Canada around 1971."
"Went to work...four color offset press"

---Somerville crew, Howie Winter, John Martorano, Brian Halloran, went to visit him in Montreal. Brought some money to him.

---Fugitive Salemme was arrested in NYC, Flemmi says (agent John Connolly made that arrest. Salemme's brother Jackie took control of loansharking aspects. Frank, who he had split with, got arrested in NYC. 15 yrs prison

---Martorano and Winter telling him that they spoke with a key witness in his case. Was no longer going to testify.

---Stevie would call Rico at FBI office in Miami.
"He said, come back. He said the coast was clear."
Came back May of 1974.

---Flemmi returned to the old crew in Somerville. "Howie Winter was in charge."

---Prosecutors showing chart of organization of leadership in '75. Had Jimmy Sims, Joe MacDonald, Martorano, Howie Winter, Bulger, Flemmi

---"Howie Winter was the leader of that group."
Leaders?
"Jim Bulger, myself, John Martorano, Howie Winter, Joe MacDonald, Jimmy Sims."

---"So you immediately became one of the leaders of this group?" "Yes sir." Organization chart of Winter Hill Gang they led.
Bulger's crew in Southie included Jack Curran, Kevin O'Neill, Jimmy Mantville, etc.

---Bigger chart; #Bulger underlings: Curran, Ford, O'Connor; "they're all part of Jim Bugler's crew," Flemmi says. South Boston people

---New chart: Flemmi's Roxbury people: Phil Costa, he was my driver; Bobby McCarthy; Steve Puleo, John Baharoian (bookie)

---"Charlie Raso was one of our bookmakers. Tommy O'Brien, Dickie O'Brien, our agents. Joey Y, loanshark.
John Callahan was a friend...

---"Tony Ciulla was involved in race fix case. Brian Halloran was part of the Winter Hill crew. John Hurley was from Charlestown..."

---Sonny Mercurio was with Mafia, but when he in prison Johnny Martorano and Howie Winter helped him out financially, so he liked them.

---"What kind of criminal activities was this group involved in?"
"Gambling, bookmaking loansharking. Extortion."
Murders?
"Definitely murders."

---O'Toole was murdered while Stevie on lam.
"O'Toole a remnant of Charlestown crew. He shot my brother.
Came round with olive branch"

---"He wanted a pass. He wanted to be forgiven."
What did you say to Howie.
"I said kill him."
Gave submachine gun to Johnny M.

---Flemmi made arrangements to get John Martorano a machine gun, and he killed O'Toole, who was ducking behind mailbox in Savin Hill

---Bobby Labella, Stevie's friend, got gun to Johnny M.
James Sousa?
When you came back from Canada, did you kill him?
"I was present." "They were concerned about" Sousa.
He got pinched. Wouldn't stand up.
"We all agreed they wanted to kill him."

---"We all decided, because we were a group, we all decided that if anything were to be accomplished we had to agree to it. the 6 of us" Jim Bulger, Howie Winter, Johnny M, myself, Joe Mac, Jimmy Sims.
"We went out in the garage, Marshall Street,"

---So Sousa comes to the garage on Winter Hill.
"We went into the office. Johnny inthe office with Barnoski. Johnny shot him." Sousa shot in head, bleeding badly, so Stevie put a can under his head to catch the blood.

---"Took him out put him in a car, brought him to a location in Boxford. Joe and Jimmy dug a hole out there." "We dropped the body off and Howie drove me back to Medford. Then picked up Joe and Jimmy."

---Couldn't find the grave after he began cooperating.
Talked to Whitey about it
"I told him what transpired. He wasn't there that day"

---In 1969, Stevie met Whitey briefly
But when back from lam in 1974, met Whitey
"He didn't drink, didn't smoke, worked out regularly"

---About John Connolly? Bulger went to them as a group, saying Connolly approached him, wanted to meet.

---"He asked if we'd sanction it. We were always looking for sources. So we all agreed, go meet him."

---"It's always good to have connection and know what's going on. You couldn't survive."
Mafia have any?
"They had local police."

---"He said John Connolly...said the Mafia has their sources and we can help you. If they want to play checkers, we can play chess." Flemmi

---Flemmi said it was fruitful right away. He got tipped off to a loansharking investigation about him.

---Did you get information from Connolly.
"He provided information onloanshark case, in Quincy, not to go there because it was wired." "How'd you find out about him."..."#Bulger told me....he told me the place was being wired for video and sound."

---What did Whitey tell you about Paul McGonagle.
"He said he wanted to kill him...remnant from the old Mullens gang."
Asked me to help

---"He said he killed him. He didn't need me. He lured him into car, said it was counterfeit money."
"They buried him, Tenean Beach"

---"He said he shot" Donald McGonagle.
"He thought it was Paulie McGonagle."
Did he kill Donald McGonagle?
"Yes."

---Eddie Connors?
Ran Bulldogs in Savin Hill.
Friend of mine, Howie Winter.
Decided to murder him.
"He was involved in O'Toole killing"

---"Connors was a witness. Telling people he helped set it up."
Bother you.
"He's telling people our business."
Whitey decide with you.

---Flemmi said Eddie Connors was telling people he set up killing of O'Toole by Winter Hill gang, so killed him

---Connors went to phone booth to take call from Howie Winter, Flemmi and #Bulger shot him; Flemmi with carbine Bulger two barrel shotgun

---Whitey emptied both barrels, then pulled out a pistol and kept firing at Connors.
Stevie fired about six shots.

---"We just immediately left. Got in the car. Drove to Somerville."
Who drove?
"I think the three of us went back."
Disposed of guns.

---Flemmi said John Martorano drove them back to Somerville after he and #bulger ambushed Connors in Dorchester phone booth. Got rid of guns.
"Joe MacDonald would throw it in the ocean."