I think it's up to the individual. I'm first generation and proud of my heritage. My sister on the other hand has always been ashamed to be an Italian....always wanted to be a WASP...could have been the friends she grew up with (none of them Italian). Me on the other hand had all Italian friends growing up...hell the only non-Italian friends I had as a kid were first generation Indians who respected their culture. I know plenty of people on both sides of the equation (those proud to be Italian and those who are ashamed). I'm going to teach my kids about their heritage and the language but also let them make their own choices. The best way to be is to adapt to your current culture but keep one foot deeply planted in your past. I actually am noticing a lot of young people who are getting back in touch with their Italian roots without being the stereotypical guido....the guido culture gave Italians a bad name....my friend (who is also Italian) said it best once...."the Sopranos don't give Italians from NJ a bad name....Italians from NJ give Italians from NJ a bad name (LOL)"