Originally Posted By: GoldenEagle
This guy was amazing. We know almost nothing about his rise to power. One thing I have wondered about is when he really became boss of the family. It is usually said he became boss after Lombardo retired in 1981. However we have testimony that he ordered the murders of at least four Philly mobsters in 1980 to avenge the death of Angelo Bruno. Not just anyone can order the murders of four members from another family. My question is, could he have been the boss earlier then has always been thought. There are several sources that say Lombardo never wanted to be boss. I find it highly probable he may have been calling the shots earlier then 1981.
I was under the impression that Antonio Caponigro and a few other Philly guys were killed on orders from the Commission for killing Bruno without permission.As the story goes, Caponigro (Bruno's consiglieri)approached Funzi Tieri,the Genovese Boss at the time and de facto head of the Commission, seeking consent for the hit. Funzi gave it the OK,and promised that Caponigro would become the new Boss of Bruno's Family.After the killing Caponigro was summoned to New York presumably to be formally installed as the new Boss. Instead, Tieri denied ever giving permission,and Caponigro wound up tortured and shoved in the trunk of a car,with pieces of currency stuffed in "both ends".
Generally,it is accepted that Tieri set Caponigro up,so that he could take over his multi-million dollar gambling rackets.

Last edited by Lou_Para; 07/06/13 03:06 AM.