Originally Posted By: IvyLeague
Originally Posted By: Lou_Para
The actual story of Gotti's prison beating is pretty funny.Gotti had been paying the Aryan Brotherhood $50,000 a year for protection in the joint. He then decided that he had enough hangers-on and associates to watch his back,so he told the AB that he didn't need their services anymore.In addition,he reneged on a deal to provide one of the top AB leaders with a high-powered attorney.

Being shrewd businessmen on a par with any Mob Boss,especially a doofus like Gotti,the AB formulated a unique marketing strategy.

A black bank robber (who was up for parole),Walt Johnson, picked a fight with Gotti and lumped him up. After the beating,Gotti went crawling back to the AB for payback. "Why certainly Mr. Gotti,we can take care of Mr. Johnson,but it will cost you $100,000."

Gotti paid the money,and miracle of miracles,Johnson's parole goes through,and he leaves the prison. The AB Customer Service Department informs Gotti that they can't fulfill their end of the deal,but his deposit is non-refundable.
Of course,Mr. Gotti could always meet with their Dispute Resolution Advisor in the mop closet on the third tier Mon-Fri between midnight and two AM.

Now anyone who knows anything about the AB can tell you that nobody,I mean nobody, is beyond their reach,inside or outside of prison.The AB hustled Gotti and got away with it.

Former AB member Kevin Roach testified that they had a falling out with Gotti after he failed to provide an attorney for AB leader Barry Mills in 1994. He said that's when the AB removed it's protection for Gotti. But it wasn't until 1996 that Gotti was attacked by Walter Johnson in the exercise yard. Afterward, Glen West, another AB turncoat, said Gotti offered the AB $100,000 to kill Johnson. But I don't think it was some kind of plot by the AB all along. According to Roach's testimony, they expected that Gotti would have to come back to them sooner or later. But there's nothing to suggest the attack was anything other than a personal beef between Gotti and Johnson. After all, when has the AB ever used a black inmate to do their dirty work? And it's not like they knew ahead of time Johnson would be paroled.

I didn't mean to imply that the AB set up the beating,but the way I wrote the post, I can absolutely understand how it came off that way.The way I figured it happened was that the AB just sat on their hands until Johnson got out,and had no intention of killing him for Gotti.
One way or another the AB was going to make Gotti pay for the insult to Mills,and bided their time until they could make the move. The hustle I referred to was the taking of Gotti's money with no intention of doing anything to earn it. Sorry about the confusion,and thanks for pointing it out. I have such a ball on this board that occasionally I get a little carried away with my sense of humor.