Originally Posted By: Danito

The Seles case also made me angry. Seles has always been my favorite female tennis player. It's pretty sure that Parche (the guy who stabbed her) was severely mentally disabled, but then they should have put him into a forensic psychiatry.
I actually loathed Seles until that event because I hated her on-court grunting and I was such a Graf fan, but that was one of the saddest days in sports history. I was only 13 but still remember just being completely shocked by what I'd seen. Seles had won 8 out of the last 9 Grand Slams heading into that match and had owned Graf, and the Graf fan Parche got exactly what he wanted by stabbing Seles as Graf went on to dominate '94 winning every Grand Slam title. Martina Navratilova said Seles would have been the greatest female player ever if not for that day, and in addition to ruining her career it also sent her into extreme depression as she battled mental and eating disorders afterward. The only good thing that came out of that was that Seles went from being one of the most disliked players in the world to one of the most beloved. This past April marked the 20th anniversary of the event, btw. http://espn.go.com/espnw/news-commentary...s-tennis-career