Originally Posted By: caprese
Good points southend. Ya I don't believe Mark was made either. I think he claims this for added excitement in the story, but it makes no sense in reality...Anyway, Paul was anxiously awaiting for Ray Jr and other bosses (of whom I don't know) to get out and bring things back to the "old ways",the "way they should be". Which in it's own right seemed not to make sense as Ray got demoted and I thought he didn't even want to be boss anymore, I thought he wanted to do straight real estate biz (but who am I to say). But all I know is Paul hated Salemme loyalists and the Luisi's of the North End, and I know the Luisi's hated Paul. I just find it weird how Paul was locked up in the 80's - early 90's, gets out and immediately has major muscle and respect to the point where the North End felt they had to watch their backs...Well maybe I shouldn't say the whole North End, as the North End was actually split since some guys were with East Boston/Renegades.... Makes me think either Big Paul was made by the some friends in NYC that he had ties to or at the very least well backed by them with the promise to be made and upped once Ray Jr. is brought back into power. Very interesting stuff!!!

While Paul was incarcerated he continued to oversee his drug trafficking activity from prison. Federal prison is also where most people assume he made his big connections with the New York mob, the Luccheses. And no I've never read Last Rites never heard of it, good book? whats it about?