Originally Posted By: Chicago
Ivy, The Kansas City Family was always close with Chicago. I know they have diminished through attrition and Federal (Rico) prosecutions, but they were a pretty good Family years ago. Are they not one of the current 10 Families left in America?

No, not according to the feds or organized crime experts. Again, the ones remaining are the 5 NY families, New Jersey, New England, Philadelphia, Chicago, and maybe Detroit.

Quote:
Also, I don't believe there were originally 24 Families years ago, only because I heard a couple of those real small ones were really part of one of the Bigger Families. For example, The Springfield, Ma crew was part of the Genovese Family in New York. In your opinion and based upon more than one report, how many families were there say back in 1970 versus right now?

Springfield, MA was never considered to be it's own family. It's well known that it was always a Genovese crew. There were at least 24 at one point...

1. Genovese
2. Gambino
3. Lucchese
4. Colombo
5. Bonanno
6. Buffalo
7. New England
8. New Jersey
9. Philadelphia
10. Scranton
11. Pittsburgh
12. Cleveland
13. Detroit
14. Chicago
15. Milwaukee
16. St. Louis
17. Kansas City
18. Tampa
19. New Orleans
20. Dallas
21. Denver
22. San Francisco
23. San Jose
24. Los Angeles

The ones in question have been...

1. Rochester (whether it remained part of Buffalo or became it's own family in the late 1960's).

2. Rockford (whether it was it's own family or just an extension of the Chicago Outfit).

3. Madison (whether it ever had it's own family or was just an extension of the Milwaukee or Chicago families).

4. Newark (this family was supposedly absorbed by the New York families in the 1930's).

5. Springfield (probably just an extension of the Chicago Outfit).

6. Tuscon (was just Joe Bonanno, his son, and and a handful of loyalists).

7. San Diego (was absorbed by the Los Angeles family after Prohibition).

Of the 24 listed above, all (as well as Rochester listed below them) were still recognized by the feds in the 1970's except for Dallas.

Last edited by IvyLeague; 06/23/13 10:57 PM.

Mods should mind their own business and leave poster's profile signatures alone.