ON THE TRAIL OF THE ASSASSINS

I've had this and another JFK book about the assassination and I figured with this being the 50th anniversary of that event, now was as good a time as any to read them. Before I begin I will tell you that I 100% agree that Oswald wasn't the shooter and that there was a conspiracy to kill President Kennedy. This book provided many details on whom Jim Garrison believes was behind the assassination and why. In addition he provides many interesting questions which still to this day, have yet to be answered. All we can do now is wait another 25 years to truly find out the truth (that is if the government actually does reveal everything to us in 25 years). Oliver Stone does a great job with the movie as many of these chapters are portrayed with great accuracy on screen (accuracy in regards to the contents of the book - not whether you believe the information to be fact or fiction). The book doesn't really give anything more than the movie does. In fact some scenes I'm assuming were added by Stone or are part of the second book that the film JFK was based on, CROSSFIRE: THE PLOT THAT KILLED KENNEDY which is what I'm going to begin reading next.

However, after reading this book and seeing the film I am just in awe of what I like to term the Age of Innocence. What I mean by that is it just astounds me that people of that time period were so naive to think that our government is capable of toppling foreign governments for her own benefit but that somehow we aren't capable of doing it here in America with our own President. Even Oliver Stone said in a special feature on the JFK documentary how other countries like France and in parts of Europe laugh at us that we are so blind to see that our President was overthrown by individuals who no longer wished him to be there. Back when the film was released in 1991, a poll conducted at that time stated that at least 75% of people now believe there was a conspiracy to kill President Kennedy. Unfortunately, people have other things on their mind right now and this has gone by the wayside. I do believe though that Jim Garrison should be recognized as a hero as he was the spearhead to bring this investigation and reopen the murder of President Kennedy when so many people were against it and him.