Originally Posted By: thebigfella
If u read the article it says they recently held a coupple of cereamonies which prove thier still actively making people, in the video above it mentions how no one really knows who's made and who's not in that family cause they do such a good job of blending in to legitament businesses, and if thats true than its possible that alot of thier members is unknown because they don't have jail records and have become successful business men but in the video above it says "the kid" is holding walk and talks with ranking members in supermarkets and such, the task force in detroit calls them very successful, if ur an active family with the less convictions makes u powerful in my book, and its hard to dispute because its proven thier still be making members

The author of that article (Scott Bernstein) posts regularly over on the Real Deal forum. He's talked about rumors of there being recent ceremonies but nothing substantiated. And, considering his spotty track record when it comes to the Detroit membership, I don't put a lot of stock in rumors passed along on the internet.

And it's not the Task Force saying Detroit is still powerful. It's Scott's interpretation of that. There was a time I felt I could take him at his word but no longer. Rumor, hearsay, speculation, etc. is cheap. The real proof isn't even so much what the FBI in Detroit says but what it does. If they don't bother to bring ongoing significant cases against the Detroit LCN, that tells you all you need to know. And it's not because the Detroit wiseguys are smarter or have figured some way to stay under the radar. It's because they're low in numbers and their activity doesn't extend much beyond bookmaking and loansharking. They're a low priority. Meanwhile, we still see regular mob cases in other areas of the country.

Originally Posted By: mulberry
You guys are all ignorant. Detroit isn't dead last and it's nowhere near the most powerful. KC, LA, Cleveland, Pittsburg etc are all weaker than Detroit by a longshot. NY, NJ, Chicago are all stronger than Detroit by a longshot.

Before you start calling others "ignorant," you should know that the feds no longer even recognize formally structured, viable families in Kansas City, Los Angeles, Cleveland, and Pittsburgh. So, to say Detroit is stronger than them isn't saying much. There are, at most, 10 mob families still considered to be viable - the 5 NY families, New Jersey, New England, Philadelphia, Chicago, and maybe Detroit. And that's because there's differing opinions on Detroit, even among mob experts. But even if we count Detroit, it's dead last among those remaining families.

Mods should mind their own business and leave poster's profile signatures alone.