The Bronx is not Burning

Quote:
Bronx officials have also stepped up efforts to re-brand their borough. A tourism magazine will be relaunched this summer with a feature called “What I love about the Bronx.” And a new Bronx tourism Web site, ilovethebronx.com, lists a dozen approved tours of the Bronx so far, including a free trolley ride to City Island that attracts hundreds of tourists every month.

The Bronx name already carries weight in some unexpected places. In the Kansas City area, for instance, a chain of four restaurants named d’Bronx deliver New York-style sandwiches and pizza.

The singer Ashlee Simpson has a young son named Bronx, and a hard-core punk band from Los Angeles also chose that name before ever stepping foot in the Bronx proper (the members have visited since). “It’s got a tough vibe to it,” explained Matt Caughthran, 34, a band member. “It always struck me as a place where you have to be street-smart, and that’s where we were coming from.”

Andrew Meyers, the director of a program on the Bronx experience at the Ethical Culture Fieldston School in the borough, said that half of his incoming students now associated the Bronx with the zoo or Yankee Stadium rather than the “Fort Apache” movie. “These kids were born in the late 1990s,” he said. “I think the stigmas that we grew up with are on the way out.”...

"When the snows fall and the white winds blow, the lone wolf dies but the pack survives."
Winter is Coming

Now this is the Law of the Jungle—as old and as true as the sky; And the wolf that shall keep it may prosper, but the wolf that shall break it must die.
As the creeper that girdles the tree-trunk, the Law runneth forward and back; For the strength of the Pack is the Wolf, and the strength of the Wolf is the Pack.