Originally Posted By: pizzaboy
As far as the northeast goes, what Ivy says is 100% correct, in theory. Dems be da rules. But in practice? Meh, who knows?

Best example I can give is here in the Bronx, early 2000's. Vinny had just become official boss of the Bonannos, but Prisco had just gotten out of Jersey State prison on a bullshit technicality (thanks to Governor McGreevey, a gay guy, Ivy lol). Anyway, they were both quite active in the East Bronx at that time. Now Vinny as boss of the Bonannos technically outranked Angelo, a skipper with the Westside. But if you polled a hundred street guys, I guarantee you 90 of them would have told you that Angelo was the heavier guy.

But that example is moot anyway. Because I know for a fact that Angelo likes Vinny a great deal. I'll bet if Vinny had it to do all over again, he'd have gone in with Prisco back in the '80s instead of with Patty D and the Bonannos. He and Patty ended up hating each other like poison, and look at the end result for both of them. But again, that may be a poor example. Because Prisco's dying in jail, too.

Moral of the story: Mob guys die in jail. A lot whistle.

Are we talking about the same thing? In the context I'm looking at it in, it would be Bonanno family vs Prisco, not Basciano vs Prisco, if that makes sense.

Originally Posted By: jonnynonos
Since 9/11 the feds have largely concentrated their resources on terrorism. Factor in every other problem they have (drug trafficking etc.) and I doubt there is anywhere near the resources being directed toward the mob as there used to be.

Particularly in a place like Chicago where by all visible evidence the crime is nonviolent and basically amounts to a fairly small scale network of illegal gambling.

Look at the drug/streetgang problem here in Chicago. Hundreds of people are killed every single year in their turf battles. How much time can they devote to the mob, that hasn't killed a single person in years?

The danger of the mob of course is its capacity for corruption.

I'm sure law enforcement still have a fair amount of agents dedicated to the Outfit, but I doubt its that high on their priority list these days.

Even in New York the FBI's LCN squads have been drastically downsized. There's now one Gambino/Lucchese squad, one Colombo/Bonanno squad, and only the Genovese family has it's own squad. Total agents in NY investigating the LCN is around 50 or so, if I remember right, compared to hundreds in the 1980's and 1990's. In Chicago there's one squad that investigates the Outfit, as well as other newer OC groups.

Originally Posted By: jonnynonos
I said they probably have much more influence in the suburbs.

However, I think it is still probably not nearly as widespread as some people like to believe.

Yeah, there is still some limited, narrow corruption related to the Outfit. And a mistake many make is not differentiating that from the general corruption that has always plagued Chicago. Comparatively speaking, I'm not sure Chicago is any more corrupt than Jersey is. At least in ways that benefit the mob.

Mods should mind their own business and leave poster's profile signatures alone.