I'm sure the folks from Chicago would know better than I about what happened. But I 'll give you my take on what occurred.

According to all the newspaper reports and articles I've read, trouble starting brewing in the late 50's and carried into the sixties. There is, and probably always will be, dissention within the ranks of just about any organization, especially a criminal organization. These guys are always watching, waiting and listening to all the goings-on. By 63-64 they probably knew Mooney was in trouble and they had to do whatever was necessary to survive. When Giancana did leave, Ricca and Accardo recognized some of these guys had potential relative to Outfit / criminal business, so they utilized their skills. Buccieri and Torello (sp) were two examples. Plus Ricca had close ties with these men. I believe they were given very good positions in the Outfit. If I'm not mistaken, Torello was second in command to Buccieri and took over his position when he died.

Check Elmwood's post about these guys. He's familiar with street crew names, etc.
I'm not familiar with the different crews and can't remember the names.

In 1972 Ricca passed away and some purging began. Mad Sam was one who was eliminated, even though he was apparently "kicking-up" a large sum of money to Accardo. Apparently Butch Blasi aligned with Aiuppa's crew (I believe it was still called Grand Avenue). I'm not sure about the others, but they for sure were absorbed by other crews ( if they survived). Chuckie English is another one who was somewhat of a pariah. He bad-mouthed the new regime until around 1985 and was shot to death outside Horwarth's (sp) restaurant.

Last edited by GaryMartin; 06/01/13 06:04 PM.