Originally Posted By: Tyler_Durden
I wouldn't call most Zetas, or most cartel members in general courageous. Even if we're leaving morality aside.

The media likes to hype them up as highly-trained, professional, James Bond-like killing machines, but the truth is that they are nothing new. Their kind have existed throughout Africa for decades. Kids born in poverty, brainwashed, armed, taught the basics of not shooting themselves with their own guns(if that) and used as cannon fodder to kill each other. All of them are blasted out of their minds on coke, heroin and booze 99% of the time.

Are they dangerous? Yes. Brutal? Sure. Courageous? Fuck no. Though? No.

Coincidentally, I've been reading the book "El Sicario: Confessions of a Mexican Cartel Assassin". Apparently the protagonist was one of the best sicarios in Mexico, responsible for hundreds of killings. Even he confesses he was coked up to the eyeballs most of the time and he doesn't even remember part of the shit he did. He also said that, even though the level of violence in Mexico increased, the shooters on the street today are far worse quality-wise than those of even 5-10 years ago. They're not "real sicarios", just unskilled, incompetent morons.

I haven't read the book yet and the main reason is because of the clips of seen of his documentary, he sounded like a random shooter or street kid the cartel members hire by the thousands. Another cannon fodder the cartels employ by the thousands to be their front men but got lucky enough to tell his tale. I'm not interested in the cannon fodder or the dirty work itself but the core group behind that employ these street gangs to either sell drugs or manage their drug houses, act as "whistle blowers" or do street surveillance/intelligence or "halcones" as they call themselves, or sometimes as "sicarios" or hitmen. The reason why the "sicarios" are not as trained as say a couple of years back is because the traffickers themselves are not the shooters anymore. At the start of the Felipe Calderon administration many traffickers were being killed in confrontations with the authorities. So they started to evolve into more sophisticated groups. So they started to hire the local street gangs to be their front men or cannon fodder for them which "El Hummer" was the pioneer of it and all cartels followed suit. Not all traffickers took up a more of administration role but Los Zetas being the most noticeable one, they still kept street presence more so than other cartels. The "Fight for Monterrey" article from Insight Crime anaylsis gives a good insight on the Los Zetas organization and the fight between the Gulf Cartel for that metropolitan area. It basically states that there are 300 "Zetas" in that metropolitan area, and that in each neighborhood there are about 8-10 "Zetillas" or per "Zeta". They make estimations of much or what rackets they are in and how much they get out of those rackets. Many of the dead between those groups were the the local street gangs either cartel hired.

Edit:Here is the link if you're interested http://www.insightcrime.org/zetas-monterrey/how-the-zetas-took-monterrey I recoomend to start with part 1 and go from there.

Last edited by BordertownResident; 05/27/13 01:04 AM.