Originally Posted By: olivant
Kly and DT, what do you think about Lois lerner voiding her 5th amendment claim during her (limited) testimony before the House committee examing the IRS targeting issue? After being sworn in she gave an attempted exculpatory statement followed by her 5th claim when questioned.

If I represented her, I would have advised that I, not she, read a general opening statement, but still would have advised her to take the Fifth.

The climate of the Committee hearings is dangerous as House Republicans have on multiple occasions expressed an opinion that people have to go to jail as a result of the IRS scandal although I haven't yet heard what specific laws have been broken. It very well may result in federal prosecutions, but the call for jail sentencesby representatives before the facts are known is a warning sign.

Issa is considering whether the opening statement constituted a waiver of the Fifth Amendment privilege. I don't think it's close. The invocation of the right is valid. If they really want her testimony, they will have to grant immunity.