http://www.thestar.ie/star/im-grand-sean...ote-five-times/

‘I’m grand’ – Sean Enright speaks out a day after he survives being shot FIVE times
Michael O'Toole May 17, 2013

Ireland’s latest gun victim Sean Enright broke his silence last night as he recovered from being shot five times — telling The Star from his hospital bed: “I’m grand.”

The bodybuilder and businessman, who was a pal of slain mobster Eamonn ‘The Don’ Dunne, was blasted in the neck and back as he walked into a gym he operates in Glasnevin, Dublin, on Wednesday morning.

It was believed he had been shot four times but yesterday it emerged it was actually five.

The victim — who also cheated death in January 2011 when he was blasted in a parked car — told The Star: “I’m in bed. I’ll have to talk to you another time.”

It emerged last night that Mr Enright (33), who is under armed protection by gardai, has had three of the five bullets removed by surgeons but two are still lodged in his body.

He told The Star from his Mater Hospital ward: “I’m grand now.

They are giving out to me for talking to you on the phone now.”

Mr Enright, dubbed ‘Man of Steel’ following the attack, is out of intensive care and his room is being protected around the clock by armed detectives.

Gardai and doctors are amazed how Mr Enright survived as the bullets narrowly missed vital organs and nearly snapped his spine.

A source said: “He’s like a cat with nine lives. It’s incredible that he survived.

“One of the bullets could have broken his spine — that’s how close it was.

“Another bullet entered his body very close to his heart and his liver so he’s very lucky.”

Investigating gardai suspect a dissident republican link to the hit and believe that the gunman, who used a 9mm semi-automatic weapon, acted alone and drove himself away afterwards.

It emerged that the silver Mini car used in the Ballyboggan Industrial Estate multiple shooting at 10.30am was stolen in Co Antrim at the beginning of the month.

Champion bodybuilder Mr Enright has a minor criminal conviction for possessing a stun gun in 2007 that saw him slapped with a €750 fine by a court.

He survived a gun attack in January 2011 when he was shot several times as he sat in a car outside a house in Clonsilla, Dublin.

On that occasion, a RIRA gunman let fly with five bullets striking Mr Enright in the leg, arm and chest — but again he managed to survive.
digg
Share on Tumblr
Email Share