Originally Posted By: Mastronardo
Originally Posted By: Sonny_Black
Originally Posted By: HairyKnuckles
The so called "zips" started to arrive in the US in the early 1960s. How can you claim that "Galante started to import zips" when he was in jail at the time? Have you read Luigi Ronsisvalle´s testimony explaining how "Bonanno zips" arrived in the US? Lilo had nothing to do with "importing" zips.

I would like to read that testimony.

Me too.

Originally Posted By: Camarel
Is it the testimony that this article said he recanted Hairy? - http://www.nytimes.com/1987/09/28/nyregi...=all&src=pm

Originally Posted By: Faithful1
He recanted the recantation. He said his family was threatened and that two detectives visited him in his hotel room although he was supposed to have been secreted away. Wonder if it was those two detectives Eppolito and Caracappa who were connected to Greg Scarpa, who in turn was connected to FBI Agent Lin Delvecchio.

http://www.nytimes.com/1987/10/02/nyregi...n-mob-case.html

http://articles.latimes.com/1987-10-03/news/mn-2962_1_mob-hit-man

Well, I only got a very small part. But in this part, Ronsisvalle talks about Sicilians coming to NY to fight for the DiGregorio/Sciacca faction against the Bonanno faction. That´s how I interpret it. It´s from The President's Commission on O.C. Report on Organized Crime and Heroin Trafficking Record of Hearing, 5 Feb 20-21 1985, Miami. Perhaps someone would know how to get a hold of the full report? Would be extremely interesting to read. The part was originally posted by Ron, a poster on another Mob forum a couple of years ago.

Ronsisvalle talks about meeting up with a certain Pino D´Aquana:

"Q. Before we get to that. Who was Pino D'Aquana?
A. Pino D'Aquana was a man who Mr. Bonanno have a war against in New York, some kind of war. He make a phone call to the family, Buccellati family, in Castellammare del Golfo, Sicily. Mr. Buccellati send over a dozen men, all hit men, to help him. The gentleman was Mr. Pino D'Aquana."

Ronsisvalle goes on to say the 12 hitmen entered the country with tourist visas, 4 or 5 went back to Sicily the rest stayed.

Also Bonanno seems to have imported men from Sicily. One of them was Gaspare Magaddino, a mafioso from Castellammare del Golfo and who was a prime suspect in the D´Angelo slaying in 1967, showed up in NY just in time for the Bananas war.

Carlo Gambino and his brother Paul, was also engaged in bringing in Sicilians around this time. Sal Catalano was most likely one of them who originally entered US with the help of the Gambino brothers. But why (and how) he ended up with the Bonannos is thus far a mystery. Correct me if I´m wrong and I believe PB would know more about this, but there was a wave of newly arrived Sicilians to NY in the early 1960s primarily seeking a honest way of work. A small portion of these newly arrived, ended up working for the Mafia. There is no documentation, or evidence, of Lilo Galante smuggling or importing any of these guys into the US. That´s why I react when someone is claiming that Galante was the mastermind behind a network of smuggling/importing "zips" from Sicily. There simply is no proof of that.

[Linked Image]