Originally Posted By: thebigfella
The outfit members that was the closest to capone never flipped, the few that have was so low level or had absolutely no contact with al to know anything, and as far as his family goes do u remember rthe capone brother that ran away? Well his son said in an interview that he remember seeing capone holding meetings with chicago gangsters, and if u read his grandniece (diedra capone) book "my uncle al" she said he use to visit his mother in chicago and meet with chicago gangsters in her house, and she also said after dinner al capone and his brothers use to go to a separate room and look over the gambling books, and as far as the fbi goes they knew capone was up to something they just could'nt prove it, just like chin was boss and it tooked years before they could prove it, the fbi is always 1 step slow, its not blind faith its facts

I know Deirdre Capone as well as several other people who have families going way back in the Outfit. Also have numerous FBI files on the Outfit and years of personal research I have done in and on Chicago. Relatives, unless they were made members themselves, for the most part can only provide personal information that is pertinent to familial relationships and genealogical facts. Organized crime related info is usually not shared with biological relatives unless there is a specific reason to do so, but normally wives and children are not privy to those details.

As for Capone meeting with Outfit members after he came out of prison...yes, of course since he was friends with many of them and continued to have their respect. Deirdre Capone said that Capone's syphilis was under better control than the newspapers were aware of, but his memory was not what it had been before and there is absolutely nothing to indicate he had any power or influence in Outfit decisions after he got out of prison nor did have any control while in Alcatraz. As for your comparison to Chin, although the FBI did not realize how early he came to be the central authority in the Genovese Family it was aware that he was a significant player. Capone simply was not the secret boss of the Outfit after he went to Alcatraz.