Originally Posted By: Scorsese
Originally Posted By: Tyler_Durden

Black street gangs not respecting the mob seems a little farfetched considering their tendency to flock by the dozens to anyone who has any semblance of "rep" on the street.

Guys like Wild Bill Cutolo, Scarpa, Vinny Basciano, Gaspipe, Gotti, Gravano, Joey Merlino etc, could have had themselves an army of gangbangers if they went on a recruitment drive. Why the fuck would they do that though? lol

thats probably one of the biggest exaggerations of the mafia i have ever heard.i agree that theres probably a little respect for them just due to all the well documented history and movies etc i doubt it extends much beyond that.

John gotti assault aside there are a number of examples of street gangs not really giving a fuck about mob guys.

cleveland mob associate mike roman was killed by a gang member.

A luchesse soldier asked for the help of a blood gangmember when an italian was being shaken down by another blood in new jersey.

Lewis Kasman hired a latin king gangmember to assault a mob associate in prison.

Carmine persico got punked in prison once when a black gangmember and his friends sat down and ate at the lunch table that persico usually ate at.

You're missing my point. Obviously every gangbanger won't bow down and lick the boots of the Italians. I never implied that. But the infatuation gang members(and not only, Griselda Blanco named her son Michael Corleone lol) have always had with the Italian Mafia image is hard to deny. Look at Big Meech and his Black Mafia Family for example.

And what I said is true. Countless gangbangers line up behind anyone who has even the slightest bit of reputation or fame or money. Even most rappers have huge entourages of gang members that do their bidding, protect them and sometimes even kill for them.
Guys like Wild Bill, Basciano, Scarpa or Casso could have recruited an army of gangbangers if they wanted to. They were stone killers, huge reputations, charismatic, and had a lot of money and power. That's what gangbangers are 'attracted' to.