Jimmy Cournoyer from Montreal appeared in a District Court in Brooklyn on charges of smuggling marijuana.

This article indicates that his list of contacts includes high profile contacts such as Gerry Matticks who once controlled the port in the city and Boucher of the Hell's Angels.

Now in Montreal we hear far more about RIzzuto, the Calbarians and the Hell's ANgels than we do about the West End Gang which according to reporters is basically a losse connection of Irish and French criminals in and around Point St Charles.

How active are they now? And were they ever at the top of the underworld in Montreal? When Frank 'Dunie' Ryan was running things many in Montreal seemed to think he was. He certainly did and it got him killed.

But along with this article I wondered if anyone had any more in depth knowledge on how prominent the West End elements are now and how influential they were and are in the bigger picture on the Montreal scene.

I know they have said to have faded somewhat since the Matticks bust in the early 00's but they still get busted all the time and Maloney was considered a big bust I know. The Feds tailed him for a long time.

http://www.montrealgazette.com/news/Cournoyer+linked+tier+Montreal+underworld/8218586/story.html

'So I say, “Live and let live.” That’s my motto. “Live and let live.” Anyone who can’t go along with that, take him outside and shoot the motherfucker. It’s a simple philosophy, but it’s always worked in our family.'

George Carlin