THIS IS ONE of ireland's most dangerous sex beasts back on the streets after serv-ing his time in jail for a brutal kidnap and sex attack.

Robert Quigley's 22-year-old victim was beat-en so badly she thought she was going to,,,clje after being abducted and driven to the Dublin Mountains. Now he's is back Hying in his family home in Tallaght, Dublin, where the Sunday World snapped him on the street. He took a trip to a garden centre where he helped a female companion load shopping into a saloon car. Dressed in a fleece and tracksuit bottoms, the unshaven ex-bouncer cut a shabby figure. Much heav-ier compared to when he was arrested in 2006, Quigley mingled with shoppers who were oblivious to his disgust-ing background.

Fantasist

The warped fantasist sparked off a huge Garda manhunt following the sinister attack in November 2006 He was given an eight-year sentence after pleading guilty and Judge Moran commented: "It would be quite wrong and irresponsible to release this man into the community without some kind of strict supervision." Quigley was also jailed for another assault on his then girlfriend after driving her to remote woodlands in Co. Kerry. He walked free from jail earlier this year after serving most of his time on a protection wing in the Midlands Prison. His disturbing and unexplained sex attack forced cops to launch a cold-case style probe amid fears he may have carried out other attacks. A 22-year-old woman attacked by Quigley in Dublin suffered a -brutal and prolonged ordeal after her night out ended in terror. She mistakenly got in Quigley's car after leaving a nightclub on Harcourt Street thinking it was a hackney cab. After giving him directions, she feel asleep and when she awoke Quigley told her he was a detective and that he had found cocaine in her handbag. He used plastic cable ties to bind her hands, at which point the young woman realised he wasn't a cop. He drove the woman up the Dublin Mountains, where he punched her sev-eral times and used a black baton to hit her in the face. He also tried to choke her, at which point the woman said she thought she was going to die. The young woman suffered serious facial injuries, including fractures to her cheekbones. When he attempted to rape her, two passing cars distracted him long enough for the woman to make her escape and raise the alarm. - Her victim impact statement was lat-er read out in court. Changed "Before the attack I used to be a hap-py-go-lucky girl.

After that night, when I walked down the street everybody looked at me. Some laughed and joked and remarked how I had two fine shin-. ers and that I deserved them. "My teeth were pushed back and my lip was cut. I could not eat or speak for two weeks. Six months on so much of my social life has changed. I can't trust people anymore. I never want to be left alone. "Sleep is supposed to be enjoyable, but all I have is nightmares. I'd rather if he had killed me that night. I'd rather he kill me than rape me. I was hoping he'd pull a gun out and end the pain. I don't think the memory of it will ever go away." In the bizarre attack on his girlfriend Quigley forced her to hand over cash, threatening that she and her family would be attacked by gangsters.

The young woman was forced to seek loans and give the money to him to stave off the threats from the fictitious gang. A psychiatric report concluded that Quigley suffered no major mental ill-ness, but had a history of "fantasising and fabricating stories" and there were hints of self-harm. Quigley is not the only serious dangerous sex offender to he released form jail since the Sunday World's spe-cial investigation into how many are behind bars. One of those was John English, who was sent back to jail for drinking alco-hol, in breach of his release conditions. The 35-year-old has previous convic-tions for rape, false imprisonment and sexual assault dating back to 1993, when he was in his mid-teens. Menace In 2004 he was jailed for 13 years for raping an Australian tourist after meeting her in a bar in Cork. He was described at the time as "a danger and a menace to society" and "a serious threat to the women of Cork". Shortly after his release in September last year he was spotted drinking and the case was put back into court to have a five-year term activated.