TAMERLAN TSAHNAEV appeared to be an unremarkable young resident of his cosmopolitan suburb of Boston.

Yet the 26-year-old must have been an intense hatred for the US that led him to launch the lethal bombing of theBoston marathon with his brother,before being shot dead by police in the early hours of Friday morning.It was a violent end to the life of a young man who grew so radicalised after arriving in the US from Dagestan a decade ago that one of his favourite songs was ‘I will dedicate my life to Jihad‘.

A deeply religious Muslim and teeto- taller, Tamerlan saw sin all around him in the liberal north-east. “There are no values any more,” he once said. “People can't control themselves."

After five years in the US and still living with his parents, he told a student interviewing himfor a university project in 2011:

“I don’t have a single American friend. I don’t understand them."

Tamerlan is believed to have became more focused on‘ his religion after dropping out of Bunker HllI_ Community College, where he was a part-time student for three terms between 2006 and 2008.

He also dedicated himself to boxing,a sport rewarding discipline, at which he excelled.
Despite describing how he felt like an outsider in his adopted country,Tamerlan even told his student inter-viewer that he aspired to one day represent the US in boxing at the Olympic Games.

He was arrested for assault and battery after a complaint of domestic violence against his girlfriend in 2009.Tamerlan is believed to have been denied citizenship after his arrest.

An aunt of the brothers, Maret Tsarnaev, defended the men andsaid she was “suspicious that this was staged”.Travel records disclosed that he left New York on January 12, 2012, heading to Moscow, raising the prospect that he may have received training close to his birthplace.