HEARTLESS THUG STEALS DYING WOMAN'S PHONE.

A CRUEL thief stole a mobile phone out of the hands of a dying woman after break-ing into her bedroom in the hospice where she is being cared for. Terminally ill Kate Byrne has spoken of her terror and heartache after a device on which she was recording messages and storing photos for her loved ones was also taken in the sickening raid The 52-year-old woman from Clondalkin is being treated in Our Lady's Hospice in Harold's Cross, on the city's southside.

Dignity? She was admitted to the hospice, which provides end-of-life care for patients, six weeks ago to see out what could be the last weeks of her life in dignity. However, on Holy Thursday morning she was awoken in her room in St Gabriel's Ward by an intruder who had slipped past security and broke into several rooms before escaping. "I was absolutely out of my mind with fear," Kate told the Sunday World yester-day.

"I awoke in the middle of the night to find this man coming in through the door, turning around and locking it behind him. "He came over and was leaning over me as he took my mobile phone from out of my hand. At first I thought it might have been one of the nurses, but then I realised I did not recognise him. "He was walking around my room root-ing around my stuff and looking in my locker and around the window and fridge. I tried to call out for a nurse, but not a sound came out of my mouth I was that scared. "Eventually I made some noise and he turned to me and asked 'are you alright' before he bolted out the door."

Kate claims the man startled another ill patient and his wife who was asleep with him in another room before he made good his escape. Devastated However, as the nurse arrived to com-fort her, she realised that several of her most important personal possessions were missing. "He got away with a little device I have which I was leaving messages on for my family," the foster mum-of-two added.

Community in total shock as gunman leaves father of four fighting for life.

A DAD was fighting for his life in hospital last night after he was shot on the doorstep of his Dublin home. Named locally as Patrick Sullivan, who was in his 50s, he was rushed to Tallaght Hospital after being gunned down at his home in west Dublin at around 6.40pm. He was taken to hospital follow-ing the incident, which occurred at Rowlagh Park in Clondalkin. He was described as being in a seri-ous condition following the shooting.

It is understood that he answered the door to the gunman and his accomplice who were looking for his son. An altercation ensued on the doorstep that led to him being blasted at close range. It was suggested last night that he had been shot in the face. Gardai said that he had no criminal connections. They issued an appeal for informa-tion and in particular are looking for witnesses that may have seen a dark coloured car speeding from the area in the immediate aftermath of the shooting. Experts The shooting took place in an area that is well known as a long estab-lished housing estate.

Gardai cordoned off the estate as forensic experts arrived to carry out an investigation. Shocked locals looked on as garda vehicles arrived and officers con-ducted door-to-door enquiries. "Patrick, or Peadar, as he is known is a real gentlemen," said local Sinn Fein councillor, Matthew McDonagh. "I'm shocked and saddened by events of this night. "Most people are law abiding citi-zens in this area, but then we come up against this," he added. "If you knew him you'd know he wouldn't hurt a fly. "He's a father of three lads and a daughter and this is the worst thing that could have happened to him and his family.

"This man was a man of the com-munity, you know? He'd be well known around the area and I'd have had a few pints with him now and again. "In fact, I was only speaking to him recently and it was all about his fam-ily. That's all he Peadar cared about. "I'm sickened, I really am I'm sorry but I'm just very upset right now," he said, before hanging up. Anyone with information is asked to contact Ronanstown Garda Station 01 666 7700.