Originally Posted By: XDCX
There are countless reasons, but I'll name a few.

The problem of evil. There are a few examples, but I will focus on Draper's evidential problem of gratuitous evil.

1. Gratuitous evils exist.
2. The hypothesis of indifference, i.e., that if there are supernatural beings they are indifferent to gratuitous evils, is a better explanation for (1) than theism.
3. Therefore, evidence prefers that no god, as commonly understood by theists, exists.

Now, free will dictates we can do what we want, and some people do some pretty horrific things. I understand that. But the problem is with gratuitous evil. Take the Holocaust, for example. I understand that some bad things must happen in order for us to truly understand and appreciate what is good. But when is enough enough? What can we possibly learn from the extermination of 6 million Jews that couldn't have been learned by the extermination of a small percent of that? You don't think an omnibenevolent God could have intervened at some point and stopped it? What it tells me is that if there is a God, He either has the power to stop these things and chooses not to, or he is an omnibenevolent God, but doesn't have the power to stop it. The more likely scenario, however, is God doesn't exist.

Ah, the old atheist argument of "God either doesn't care or He's too powerless to do anything about it." Of course, they come to this conclusion because they start off all wrong.

God is neither uncaring or powerless. But we all knew, as did He, that suffering, including atrocities such as the Holocaust, would be a part of our mortal lives in this fallen world. He knew that some would use their free agency for good and others for evil. This life is both a learning experience and a testing ground.

Ultimately it's up to Him when "enough is enough." And the fact that His Son's suffering exceeded the combined suffering of all human beings, on this earth and all earths created by His power, gives Him the moral right to say this a good plan.

Quote:
Some may argue that God is a "hidden God" and therefore can't make any sort of overt contact with his followers, because faith is believing without knowing. You have the choice to believe, and God showing Himself to His followers takes that option away. But a hidden God isn't possible either. There are countless examples in the Bible itself that prove that God isn't averse to showing Himself. Exodus, Chapter 14, the parting of the Red Sea, for example.

Want an example from the New Testament? Matthew, Chapter 17:

After six days Jesus took with him Peter, James and John the brother of James, and led them up a high mountain by themselves. There he was transfigured before them. His face shone like the sun, and his clothes became as white as the light. Just then there appeared before them Moses and Elijah, talking with Jesus.

Peter said to Jesus, "Lord, it is good for us to be here. If you wish, I will put up three shelters--one for you, one for Moses and one for Elijah."

While he was still speaking, a bright cloud enveloped them, and a voice from the cloud said, "This is my Son, whom I love; with him I am well pleased. Listen to him!"

Clearly, God doesn't want to hide. So why is God hiding today? Simple, the Bible is a collection of stories created by MAN, and God probably doesn't exist.

God has certainly shown Himself to select people at given times throughout history. However, while the ancient Israelites witnessed manifestations of His power (the parting of the Red Sea, the water from the rock, manna, etc.), only Moses and some others actually saw God.

Of course, the earthly advent of the Son of God was a unique event. But don't assume He hasn't shown Himself since then.

You're essentially like Thomas, the doubting apostle, who said that he would never believe Christ had risen from the grave and appeared to man unless he could see Him for himself, feel the prints of the nails in his hands and feet, and thrust his hand into His side. Jesus, of course, did appear to Thomas shortly thereafter; to which Thomas said, "My Lord and my God." Christ's response was, "Thomas, because thou hast seen me, thou hast believed: blessed are they that have not seen, and yet have believed."

Mods should mind their own business and leave poster's profile signatures alone.