Originally Posted By: pizzaboy
Gut feeling, gun-to-your-head opinion, Counselor. Can they get a conviction?

I honestly think a hung jury is the best the prosecution can do in that part of Florida. But that's what trials are for.

It's a tough case and all you have to do is hang one juror.

It's a state of mind case. The prosecutor will try to paint a picture, based on Zimmerman's 911 call that he was pissed and agitated as he ignored sage advice from 911 not to pursue.By attempting to establish that Zimmerman deliberately followed Martin and initiated a confrontation, not necessarily a physical confrontation, the prosecution will argue that self defense is unavailable as an affirmative defense.

They will try to establish Martin's state of mind through his call that he was concerned about being followed.

Of course, the defense will almost have to put Zimmerman on the stand as he will be the only living witness to what happened. If Zimmerman describes his state of mind and actions in a manner inconsistent with what the jury infers from evidence leading up to the encounter, he may be in trouble.

I don't know if anyone else noticed last week, but the homeowner's association, to which Zimmerman belonged, settled the civil suit for wrongful death with Martin's family for a sum that I believe is seven figures.